It’s official, Netflix is the Blockbuster for the digital generation. After releasing its latest quarterly figures last week, Netflix has hit the milestone of 100 million users. We’ve been using Catalyst to track the growth of online entertainment and video streaming industry.
In a recent report by Sensor Tower, Netflix was the number 1 app downloaded overall, with the Top 10 including online music and video streaming services, dating apps and messaging apps.
The current trend for online video streaming isn’t slowing down, especially when it comes to online piracy. This week cult HBO series Game of Thrones returned and the latest data shows it was illegally downloaded over 90 million times.
For the major television networks, the rise of Netflix, Amazon Prime and other online streaming services signals the need to produce unique content for an audience who is willing to pay for content (or they will find it elsewhere) via their smart phone, laptop or connected TV.
You can track Netflix Strategy and other popular topics such as Online Entertainment via Catalyst.
The Growth of Netflix and Video On Demand
For the first time ever, Netflix has more international rather than US subscribers. Investing in original content has been the defining strategy for attracting new subscribers to the platform with both Netflix and HBO leading this year’s Emmy nominations.
Online Entertainment Insights powered by Catalyst
- Netflix Shares Rise After It Hits 100 Million Subscriber Milestone
- GOT Season 7 Premiere Was Pirated A Staggering 90 Million Times
- Netflix: Booming Revenue And Imploding Cash Flows
- YouTube Red & Google Play Music Services To Merge
- Nielsen’s TV Ratings Now Include Hulu and YouTube TV
- Amazon Has Great TV Shows. Now, About That Branding Problem
- ‘Kodi Box’ Raid: Devices Seized As UK Crackdown Continues
- Netflix Was The Top Rated Grossing Application In Q2
- Spotify Is Pushing To Sign A New Royalty Deal With Warner Music
- Sky Chief Gets £11.5m Share Payout As It Reports Profits Slide
Track Insights on Online Entertainment
You can track the latest news and insights on topics such as Netflix Strategy, Online Entertainment and other popular topics with Catalyst Alerts.