1) Japanese company replaces office workers with artificial intelligenceWe’re starting to see the very real impact of artificial intelligence for the white collar worker. Just this month, Japanese insurance firm Fukoku Mutual Life announced that it was making 30+ employees redundant and replacing them with IBM’s Watson Explorer AI…which was developed to think like a human. Expect there to be more stories of redundancies due to robot workforce in the future.Read more
2) Oracle launches startup accelerators across Europe
After the success of Oracle’s first startup accelerator in Bangalore in India, the company has announced a European rollout of three more accelerators in Bristol, UK, Paris, France and Tel Aviv in Israel. Notably the Oracle team have decided to base the programme in Bristol and not tech-centric London.
3) MoD accelerator launches Enduring Challenge tech contest
This month, the Ministry of Defence launched the Enduring Challenge competition to bring innovative technology to the front line for the UK’s armed forces and security services. The contest seeks to attract the brightest minds in data science, 3D printing, AI, cyber security and connected technologies to pitch innovative ideas and collaborate with senior leaders of the MoD.
4) The 27 innovative startups that launched last year
In case you missed it, Business Insider rounded up the key disruptive startups that are changing way business is done. For example, Lemonade is selling peer-to-peer insurance in a way that completely disrupts the insurance industry, Houseparty replaces Skype as the new group video chat for teens and Lola uses chatbots to create a new kind of travel agent experience.
5) Five predictions for human-focused technology
Accenture released its latest report, Technology For People, on how human-centric technology in AI, digital ecosystems and marketplaces will empower the workforce and drive transformation of business and society. The report gives an overview of the key technology trends and how we are living era of ‘the intelligent enterprise’.
Track innovation news with Catalyst Alerts
Build your own daily innovation alert and sign up 30+ topics on corporate innovation, disruptive technologies and the latest insights on your market sector. Click the button below to get started for FREE!